Dr Golwalkars Methylene Blue dosage for Patients & for Prophylaxis
Many people have written asking for the dosage for MB(Methylene Blue) with nebulizer — so creating this post to help everyone in this time of need.
NOTE : Methylene Blue is very toxic in incorrect dosage and should only be taken under the supervision of a medical professional.
MB shows best results when used as a prophylactic and in the early stages of the disease (when spO2 is above 92–93%). In severe cases its administration as an add on therapy significantly improves final outcomes.
Dosage for Prophylaxis
MB shows best results as a prophylactic & should be considered as the primary line of administration in the general unaffected population.
- Sublingual administration of 0.1% concentration daily (till the pandemic lasts) — swallow what is not absorbed in approx. 30 seconds
Dosage for Patients
In affected patients in their early stage of the disease (spO2 more than 92%); Nebulized MB is a supportive line of treatment and has shown to improve the final clinical outcome.
- One ampule of Dexona + one ampule Duolin in nebulized form BD
- MB in nebulzed form 0.1% of BD (NOT to be mixed with Dexona + Duolin)
- Post recovery, continue to administer MB Nebulizer OD till 6 minute walk test is normal
- As MB has a strong blue color, the face will show blue coloration on Nebulization which is temporary
- MB has a bitter taste so some patients may complain of the same
- Some patients report a bluish green tinge in their urine
- Some patients may complain about irritation in the nose, nausea post nebulized administration
- In some cases patients will complain of irritation in the nose post nebulization
- Methylene Blue is toxic in incorrect dosages so please do not self administer it (it should only be administered by a certified medical practitioner); dosage should be only as directed
- Methylene Blue must not be administered to pregnant or lactating mothers (it can be harmful to the fetus; data for feeding mothers is not available)
- Methylene Blue should not be administered who have known reported hypersensitivity to MB, G6PD deficiency, cronic/acute liver dysfunction, cyanide poisoning or severe renal impairment
- Methylene Blue should not be administered to children below 12 years of age (insufficient data available)
- Methylene Blue is an add on therapy to conventional line of treatment
- Only IP or USP grade Methylene Blue to be used
Reactions with other medicines